Return to home page
Index of Site contents
Thomson Caravans
Helpful advice and tips
Recommended Books and Manuals
Brochures Archive
Visit Our Features Section
My Health News
All about our Thomson T-Line Glen Nevis
Have a look through the photos of the various places we have been.
Caravn and Campsites information index page
Thomson Caravans and parts for sale
Contact Us
Looking for a website, try our comprehensive list of links.
Please Donate
Find us on Facebook
Use the search box below to find anything on Thomson Caravans History and Information
Caravan Registration and Identification Scheme (CRiS)

In 1992, HPI teamed up with the National Caravan Council (NCC) to establish the Caravan Registration and Identification Scheme (CRiS), the national register of touring caravans. CRiS helps to prevent and detect caravan crime and acts as a security check for dealers and private caravan buyers through the issue of a Keeper Registration Document.

All caravans manufactured since 1992 by NCC members are recorded on the CRiS database by their unique 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This VIN and the caravan description are recorded on a Touring Caravan Registration Document, which is sent to the caravan's registered keeper. Even if you own a pre-1992 caravan, or imported your own caravan into the UK, you can still register it with CRiS yourself. Many insurance companies now require CRiS registration before they will issue a policy.

To apply for your caravan to be CRiS registered and electronically tagged, contact CRiS on 01722 411430 or email cris.uk@hpi.co.uk for further information.

Also, as with your car's V5 registration document , it is important that you ensure the registration of your caravan is up-to-date and that you are registered as the keeper.

The CRiS Check

Buying a pre-owned caravan then make sure you carry out a CRiS Check prior to concluding the deal. Don't get caught buying a caravan with a hidden history or an altered identity. A CRiS Check will not only confirm the caravans true identity, but will also reassure you of the provenance of the caravan you desire and will reveal if the caravan is subject to an HP agreement, reported stolen or been recorded as an Insurance Write-Off. In addition CRiS will be able to confirm if the 'seller' is currently recorded with CRiS as the current keeper.

To buy your CRiS Check ring 01722 411 430 between 8:00am and 8:00pm Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm Saturdays and 10:00am - 5:00pm Sundays. The cost of a CRiS Check is just £14.95.

Change of Keeper Notification

When you buy or sell your caravan it is important to ensure the new owner is properly registered as the keeper. The CVR2 Registration Document issued to the current keeper should be used to notify CRiS of any keeper change. Like the V5 document for your car,the CVR2 should be completed by both, seller and buyer and both parts sent to CRiS. There is a small fee for processing this change and it is normally the new registering keeper who would pay this. The fee as at 3rd September 2007 is £12.00. This can be paid by cheque or by credit card via the CRiS Contact Centre.

Extra security with CRiS Xtra

For additional peace of mind, you can mark your CRiS registered caravan with CRiS Xtra, an enhanced marking and identification kit containing an electronic tag and 1,000 micro-dots.

CRiS has also teamed up with caravan tracking specialist Phantom, to bring you the best hi-tech tracking system available.

Order your Phantom Tracker through CRiS by calling 01722 411 430 and you'll get a free CRiS Xtra kit*.

*Normal registration fee applies to non-registered CRiS keepers.

Insurance companies organise claims on damaged insured caravans into four groups., they are;

Category A.
Caravans must be crushed. The caravans are considered dangerous

Category B.
Caravans should only be used for spares, and can not be reregistered with a new Cris number.

Category C.
Caravans can be repaired but will require an independent engineers report sent to the Cris organization stating satisfactory repairs, road worthiness and safety.

Category D.
Minor damage such as hailstones with no safety issues but still requires an engineers report.

Frequently Asked Questions Handy Hints and Tips Instruction Manuals & DIY
Use the search box below to find anything on Thomson Caravans History and Information

Please support Thomson Caravans History & Information Website by donating via Paypal
Parks index Photo Album Links Contact
Thomson Around The World
Copyright © 1998 - 2015 Thomson T-Line History & Information
Disclaimer - The information provided on this Website site is offered with no warranty as to the authenticity, suitability or competence of the individual, company or service quoted here in. The Website shall not be liable for any damage or difficulty, direct or indirect, arising from utilization of the information contained within these pages. Thomson T-Line History & Information is not responsible for the content of external website's.