Fires in caravans
and mobile homes kill around 9 people and injure about 100
in the UK every year.
By following a few simple steps and having a basic level of awareness
you can reduce the chances of fire in your caravan or mobile home.
The following tips will help keep your family and caravan or mobile home
safe from fire.
• Early warning of fire saves lives.
• Ensure you have at least one smoke detector fitted in your caravan or
• Test your smoke alarm every week to make sure the batteries are working.
It’s vital to maintain your smoke alarms.
• When using the cooker - for cooking or heating - never leave it unattended.
• Remember to turn pot handles inward so they can't be overturned by children.
• If a chip pan catches fire don't throw water on it, this will only make
it worse.Turn off heat if safe to do so. Don't move the pan.
• Ensure all heaters, cookers and TV sets are
switched off last thing at night or when leaving your caravan
or mobile home.
• Ensure electrical wiring is in good order. Ideally it should be tested
regularly by a qualified electrical contractor.
• Do not use multi-adaptors.
• Do not run appliances from a light socket.
• If you smoke, use metal or glass ashtrays -
• Make sure all cigarettes are put out properly.
• Be careful with lighted cigarettes. Clothes, hair and furniture can easily
• Don't smoke in bed.
• Stand your fire on a metal or stone slab.
• Never use petrol, paraffin or diesel fuel when lighting a solid fuel stove.
• Ashes should be removed with a metal shovel and bucket and left to cool
in a safe place.
• Remember, heaters need air - open a door or window.
• Regularly sweep your caravan or mobile home chimney.
• Use a spark guard with your heating appliances.
SITING OF CARAVANS AND MOBILE HOMES
• Park caravans and mobile homes at least 6 metres apart.
• Park cars well clear of caravans and mobile homes.
• Make sure that your site has a fire drill or safety routine.
• Never leave children alone in your caravan or
• Keep matches, lighters and firelighters away from children.
• Keep children well back from camp fires.
• Do not store petrol, diesel or gas containers
under your caravan or mobile home.
• Make sure your gas bottle (LPG) is outside on level ground. And away from
• Ensure the connection to the gas pipe is sound and the bottle secured.
• Open gas taps on empty gas containers and keep well away from fires.
• Place empty containers in suitable storage away from caravans and vehicles.
GENERAL FIRE SAFETY
• You may wish to consider getting a fire blanket,
fire extinguisher and know how to use the equipment.
• Do not let rubbish build up and remove litter well away from the caravan
or mobile home to a bin.
• Put candles in candlesticks or on a saucer not in a plastic bottle. Keep
them well away from anything that can catch fire.
IF YOU HAVE A FIRE
• Be careful when drying clothes. Don't dry them over the stove.
• Make sure you know how to escape safely. Keep door and window keys handy.
• Call the fire and rescue service -ring 999.
• If there is smoke, keep low where the air is clearer.
• Do not go back into the caravan.
Download the Fire Kills PDF
File for caravans and mobile homes
further information visit our website at: www.firekills.gov.uk